SPAR Australia held its annual trade show, including gala awards dinner, at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre on August 20 to 22.
With the theme of ‘Simply Retail’, this year’s event was engaging and informative, complete with inspirational keynote speakers, two days of trade show and the gala awards dinner on August 22.
The trade show hosted an array of suppliers showcasing the latest trends and product innovation. Premiumisation continued to be a strong trend, with Connoisseur’s latest gourmet ice-cream flavours on show and Unilever’s extremely popular Street’s Blue Ribbon Golden Gaytime in a tub also on display.
In response to consumers seeking healthier beverage options, Frucor introduced its Sparkling Oh! spring water and V Zero, which contains no sugar. Also in energy drinks, Red Bull had a presence at the show with its new Tropical variant for summer.
Speaking at the gala, SPAR Australia Managing Director Lou Jardin said it had been another great event, with record numbers in all areas.
“We are going from strength to strength to strength – the feeling of confidence from the retailers at the moment is a credit to the suppliers and, certainly, how they contribute towards us,” he said.
The formal gala awards dinner featured the presentation of SPAR Australia’s Retail Awards for 2015, recognising excellence across its retail network. The winners are as follows:
- Grocery Department of the Year: SPAR Sussex Inlet.
- Produce Department of the Year: SPAR Maclean.
- Meat Department of the Year: SPAR Molong.
- Deli Department of the Year: SPAR North Parramatta.
- Bakery Department of the Year: SPAR Molong.
- Dairy/Freezer Department of the Year: SPAR Malanda.
- General Merchandise Department of the Year: SPAR Mungindi.
Supplier Stand Awards
- Small Supplier Stand: Cakes n More.
- Large Supplier Stand: Coca-Cola Amatil.
- Fresh Food Excellence Award: SPAR Molong.
- Brand Ambassador of the Year Award: SPAR Express Oxenford.
- Community Support Excellence Award: SPAR Chirn Park.
- Gold Star Tobacco Award: SPAR Express Lynches Road.
- Customer Service Excellence Award: SPAR Express Mermaid Beach.
- Store Investment Excellence Award: SPAR Maclean.
- Pride of Workmanship Award: Debbie Stone – SPAR Molong.
- Affiliate Store of the Year: TwentyOne Café and Grocery Store.
- 5 STAR Store of the Year: 5 STAR Hughenden.
- SPAR Express Store of the Year: SPAR Express Oxenford.
- SPAR Store of the Year: SPAR Maclean.
More detailed coverage will appear in upcoming editions of Retail World and Convenience World.