Leading IGA stores in Queensland and northern NSW (NNSW) are celebrating after winning at the annual IGA State Retailer Awards held on March 7.
IGA Beerwah, SUPA IGA Atherton and IGA X-press Bowen Hills were recognised, taking out the key awards for IGA Store of the Year, SUPA IGA Store of the Year and IGA X-press Store of the Year, respectively.
The IGA awards represent the highest example of retail excellence and demonstrate the stores’ ability to grow in challenging competition-driven environments
Keenly contested between the stores in Queensland and NNSW, the awards are a chance to formally recognise and celebrate the achievements of independent retailers. Not only the IGA stores but also the staff who work in them, put the heart and soul back into supermarkets and set the benchmark for other IGAs across the retail network.
Queensland and NNSW General Manager of Metcash Food and Grocery Richard Hinson and IGA State Board Retail Chair Tyrone Jones presented the awards to the store teams.
“We’re proud to support independent supermarkets across the state that deliver a great retail experience to our communities,” Mr Hinson said. “We acknowledge the hard work and commitment our stores have demonstrated throughout the year across all categories awarded.”
Mr Hinson described IGA Beerwah, SUPA IGA Atherton and IGA X-press Bowen Hills as “leaders in independent retailing”.
“These stores and their teams represent retail excellence for going above and beyond to demonstrate excellence in teamwork, customer service and quality in their respective store offerings,” he said.
Here is a full list of the winners:
Whites SUPA IGA Bli Bli
- SUPA IGA Delicatessen Department of the Year Award.
- SUPA IGA Grocery and General Merchandise Department of the Year Award.
- SUPA IGA Dairy/Freezer Department of the Year Award.
- IGA Bakery Department of the Year Award.
- IGA Grocery and General Merchandise Department of the Year Award.
- IGA Dairy/Freezer Department of the Year Award.
SUPA IGA Atherton
- SUPA IGA Meat Department of the Year Award.
- SUPA IGA Fresh Produce Department of the Year Award.
IGA Marketplace Wises Road
- IGA Delicatessen Department of the Year Award.
- IGA Fresh Produce Department of the Year Award.
Nick’s IGA West Mackay
- IGA Service Award of the Year.
- IGA Community Award.
Other winners announced during the evening were:
- IGA Thornlands: IGA Retail Transformation and Innovation Award.
- Sirianni’s IGA Ascot: IGA Meat Department of the Year Award.
- Ritchies SUPA IGA Daisy Hill: SUPA IGA Bakery Department of the Year Award.
- Paul Scott from Cornett’s IGA Cooktown: Team Member/Rising Star.
The state-based winners now go on to compete against IGA stores across the country in the IGA National Awards which will be announced in July 2016 in Queensland.