Aussies are feeling more connected to their communities than ever before, and are actively choosing to support their local shopping centres and businesses.
This is according to Shopper’s findings of its Closer to Home Research Study.
“In light of the pandemic, local communities have become an increasingly important part of our lives,” says Head of Data and Insights at Shopper, Emily Sak.
“Shopper undertook this study because we wanted to understand what it truly means to be local, what Australians are doing to satisfy their need for connection and belonging, and whether this is a temporary shift or long-term reset.”
Shopper’s findings revealed that Australians are choosing to stay closer to home and have an increased emotional connection with where they live.
“What is evident from the study is that with ongoing uncertainty, Australians are gravitating towards what feels comfortable, secure and trustworthy. Even when lockdown restrictions ease, consumers are enjoying stronger connections within their local communities.”
Closer to Home Study, June 2021
- 83% of Australians are spending more time at home.
- 1 in 3 Australians feel more connected to their local community than ever before.
- 62% Australians try to support local businesses where they can.
- 6 in 10 Australian shoppers have tried new retailers in the past 12 months.
- 1 in 3 Australians shoppers say they are more open to switching brands than they have been in the past.
“This study shows that brands being closer to home isn’t only about proximity to where they live, it’s about being closer to consumers’ values, needs and wants, and more in tune with how they think and feel,” adds Ms Sak.
To find out more, visit shoppermedia.com.au.